|Astoria Golf & Country Club History
The June 1, 1923 Astoria Evening Budget newspaper bears a headline reading “Country Club is launched for Astoria” Thus the first open meeting is recorded, and the rest, as they say is history.
The first meeting of the Astoria Golf and Country Club took place in the Circuit Court room of the Clatsop County Courthouse on July 7, 1923, with 75 members in attendance.
With formalities of organization out of the way, it was time to begin the search for a suitable site for an 18 hole golf course. Four sites were originally considered. First was the area near the present day Warrenton High School. Second was in the area of the Clatsop Plains Presbyterian Church. The third site was the West Lake area which is about a mile or two south of the current Club site. The final site was known as the Ed Taylor and Poole property.
The final choice came about by the entire membership viewing the four sites and then voting on their choice. The consensus of the membership was that the Taylor tract was the most suitable because there was a road leading to the property, water had been piped in, and there was a residence which could be used for a clubhouse.
On July 10, 1923 the property was purchased for $8,500. An additional 40 acres were purchased for $8,000. The residence was in the area of the lower putting green and a barn stood on the ridge where the present clubhouse is located.
The Board of Directors employed the services of R.C. Asbury, a purported golf course architect, to lay out the golf course. Mr. Asbury’s proposal had the course running east and west, thus making most play across and over the top of the rolling sand dunes of the property. This plan was not acceptable to the Club President, George Halderman and the Board, so subsequently Halderman and George Junor, the first greens keeper, laid out the course in its present north and south directions between the dunes, following the natural terrain which had been shaped by sand, wind and sea.
By February, 1924, it was reported that construction was in good progress. By June of that year, the formal opening of the Astoria Golf and Country Club golf course took place beginning at 9:00 a.m. on the morning of Saturday, June 14th.